Parsing SQL'92

terryvb@my-deja.com
28 May 2000 21:01:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing SQL'92 terryvb@my-deja.com (2000-05-28)
Re: Parsing SQL'92 derekNOSPAM@knosof.co.uk (2000-05-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: terryvb@my-deja.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.databases
Date: 28 May 2000 21:01:21 -0400

Hi All,

I've been trying to parse the SQL'92 grammar using various parser
generators, but so far no luck. I've thrown yacc (LALR(1)), yay (LALR
(2)), and JavaCC (LL(k)) at it, but I always get a ton of conflicts.

Can someone answer definitively what language category SQL'92 is in,
and whether there are any public-domain grammars out there for it?

The grammars I've used were generated by processing the BNF from the
ISO standard document. On re-reading the document I notice that the
BNF is annotated by "Syntax Rules" sections that seem to specify, in
english, additional constraints to the BNF :-/ Are these annotations
significant, and has anyone incorporated them into a grammar?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Terry
[There's a parser for the earlier version of SQL in the sample files
for lex&yacc. It's been a long time since I wrote it, but I don't
recall that I needed lexical hackery. -John]