Incremental Compilers
8 May 2000 00:45:14 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Incremental Compilers (2000-05-08)
Re: Incremental Compilers (2000-05-10)
Re: Incremental Compilers (Calin Cascaval) (2000-05-10)
Re: Incremental Compilers (Richard F. Man) (2000-05-10)
Re: Incremental Compilers (Matthew Markland) (2000-05-12)
Re: Incremental Compilers (Herbert M Sauro) (2000-05-12)
Re: Incremental Compilers (Mike Kent) (2000-05-12)
[5 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 May 2000 00:45:14 -0400

I am an engineer at Cisco and every engineer spends about 10 minutes
to compile an image even if only few of the files in the code base
were modified. I am wondering why that time cannot (in theory) be
reduced from 10 minutes to 10 seconds by using incremental compilation

Does anyone know if such compilers are available for unix environments
and are they really much faster than the normal compilers. What is the
status of this issue in Industry? Why do engineers in all the big
companies spend 10-15 minutes per compilation of big images even
though they may modify only a few lines at a time.