Re: C Linker/Compiler question

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>
4 May 2000 17:13:46 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C Linker/Compiler question frgirard@globetrotter.net (Francis Girard) (2000-04-20)
Re: C Linker/Compiler question jhallen@world.std.com (2000-04-25)
Re: C Linker/Compiler question agold@bga.com (Arthur H. Gold) (2000-04-25)
Re: C Linker/Compiler question frgirard@globetrotter.net (Francis Girard) (2000-04-26)
Re: C Linker/Compiler question agold@bga.com (Arthur H. Gold) (2000-04-30)
Re: C Linker/Compiler question jaxon@soltec.net (Greg Jaxon) (2000-04-30)
Re: C Linker/Compiler question eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (2000-05-04)
Re: C Linker/Compiler question cosmic@cosmic-software.se (Bengt Farre) (2000-05-12)
Re: ANN: Release of "Knit" component composition toolset eeide@cs.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (2001-02-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 May 2000 17:13:46 -0400

Francis Girard <frgirard@globetrotter.net> writes:

> Is there a way to generate a library (with gcc, kcc or anything) that
> includes another library AND DOES some linking tasks by filling the
> wholes in the intermediate files (.o) we're including in the library
> we're trying to build with the code found in the library we're also
> including in that library we're trying to build.
>
> The goal is to not use another version of the same symbols when
> linking to an executable.

I don't have a solution to give you today, but I thought that readers
of this newsgroup might be interested in some related current research
that we're doing here in the Flux Group at the University of Utah.

In particular, we are developing a ``component'' model for C code that
can be applied to the situation you describe above. (When I say
component, think ``modules'' or ``libraries'' or ``object files.'')

In our model, called ``C plus Units,'' the programmer can specify
explicit linkage between components. It is straightforward to create
a new component by encapsulating an existing component; the outer
module can be implemented to satisfy some of imports of the inner
module, thus ``hiding'' those inner linkages. (This is the example
you describe.) In C plus Units, it is also straightforward to
implement other linking ``tricks.'' For example, if two modules each
provide `printf', the programmer decides which is used in the linked
system. In fact, both versions of `printf' may be used: they may be
used by different modules, or they may even be used by a single
module, because our linking language allows for renaming.

Our research is preliminary. A technical report describing C plus
Units and some initial applications of the system will be available
soon; when it is published, I will send an announcement to this
newsgroup. (It will also be linked from the Flux Project Web pages at
<http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/>.) The C plus Units compiler is several
months away from being really usable; our goal is to have an initial
public release sometime ~4Q2000.

Eric.
--
Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu> . University of Utah Dept. of Computer Science