Re: Compiler Verification/Optimization

Vladimir Makarov <>
25 Apr 2000 02:30:39 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Verification/Optimization (Jared Dykstra) (2000-04-20)
Re: Compiler Verification/Optimization (2000-04-21)
Re: Compiler Verification/Optimization (Vladimir Makarov) (2000-04-25)
Re: Compiler Verification/Optimization (2000-04-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Vladimir Makarov <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Apr 2000 02:30:39 -0400

Jared Dykstra wrote:
> What Optimization and verification suites are currently available? I
> looked around, but could only come up with one company called
> Nullstone. Are there any other alternatives? or Has anyone dealt with
> NullStone in the past?

Nullstone is good to find what is quality of your optimizations and
what optimizations are missed.

As verification of C/C++/Java, I'd recommend Plumhall testsuite
( It stresses the compiler very good.

Another testsuite is perennial testsuite (

One interesting useful toolset which tests so called "student" program
is DDT (article about DDT is on You can
download DDT from It finds
bugs which other testsuites usually can not find (but it misses the
most of bugs which other testsuites find). It automatically generates
C tests and can compare the results on different compilers. You can
modify it to tune it to another language, e.g. I used it to find some
bugs (even parser bugs) in Microsoft Fortran 90.

> Also, are the egcs/gcc benchmark & verification suites freely
> available or GPLed? If so where can I get them.

Vladimir Makarov, Gcc compiler engineer
Cygnus, a Red Hat company