Re: parse tree --> running program/script...

Herwig Huener <Herwig.Huener@pgtm0035.mch.sni.de>
21 Apr 2000 23:03:09 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
parse tree --> running program/script... tomcf@connect.ab.ca (Tom Fjellstrom) (2000-04-20)
Re: parse tree --> running program/script... Herwig.Huener@pgtm0035.mch.sni.de (Herwig Huener) (2000-04-21)
Re: parse tree --> running program/script... tomcf@connect.ab.ca (Tom Fjellstrom) (2000-04-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Herwig Huener <Herwig.Huener@pgtm0035.mch.sni.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Apr 2000 23:03:09 -0400

Tom Fjellstrom wrote:
> I've been working on a simple 'perl like'* script language, and
> everything is great so far (who knew writing a parser was so easy :),
> but I'm having a little trouble trying to decide how to continue.
>
> 1) should I execute the parse tree directly?
> 2) or maybe implement some sort of virtual machine?

In your case, I would do both, 1 first. You will have a kind
of a tree anyway if you generate code for a virtual
machine, an then, having both implementations, you can
check them against each other when doing some error
diagnosis.

The kind of virtual machine and it's design depends on
what your language is best suited to, I guess.

Just my opinion.

Herwig