Relocation

Maliha Samad <maliha032@yahoo.com>
17 Apr 2000 11:23:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Relocation maliha032@yahoo.com (Maliha Samad) (2000-04-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Maliha Samad <maliha032@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Apr 2000 11:23:21 -0400

This concerns handling relocation in assemblers. I read somewhere that
we assign relocation bits but they are not written in memory with teh
object code. They are stored in some structure and are later disposed
off. Well I want to know what that structure is? How are teh bits
handled ? If using a COFF or ELF object file format do we need to use
the relocation bit concept or can it be handled without it?

Maliha
[If you want to use a linker or you want to be able to load your assembler
output at some other address than the one for which you assembled it, you
need relocation bits. I shamelessly suggest my "Linkers and Loaders" which
covers all this stuff. See http://linker.iecc.com for info, the full text
of the manuscript, and ordering info. -John]