Re: DWARF parser?

James Cownie <jcownie@etnus.com>
14 Apr 2000 01:00:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DWARF parser? jean.scailteur@fundp.ac.be (Jean Scailteur) (2000-04-11)
Re: DWARF parser? jcownie@etnus.com (James Cownie) (2000-04-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: James Cownie <jcownie@etnus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Apr 2000 01:00:59 -0400

Jean Scailteur wrote:
> We have to implement a parser which is able to interpret the DWARF
> file object format. There we are looking for tools from which we could
> based the development. Does somebody know some of those tools which
> could handle the DWARF format and can parse it into a different format?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jean
> [The obvious place to look is the GNU binary tools and debugger. -John]

1) DWARF is a debug format, not an object format. It is normally
      embedded in Elf.

2) There are two different levels of DWARF (called, imaginatively, DWARF 1
      and DWARF 2). They are similar at a high level and very different at a bit
      level.

3) You should look at SGI's open sourced DWARF 2 access libraries.
      (Start from http://reality.sgi.com/davea/objectinfo.html )

4) There is an informal committee currently working on DWARF2 enhancements.
      (http://www.eagercon.com and look for DWARF 2)

-- Jim

James Cownie <jcownie@etnus.com>
Etnus, Inc. +44 117 9071438