Re: genetic compilation
3 Apr 2000 11:31:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
genetic compilation (Christophe Grand) (2000-03-23)
Re: genetic compilation (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-03-28)
Re: genetic compilation (Pratap Subrahmanyam) (2000-04-01)
Re: genetic compilation (Dr. Andy Nisbet) (2000-04-01)
Re: genetic compilation (Jean-Luc Nagel) (2000-04-01)
Re: genetic compilation (Chris Fraser) (2000-04-01)
Re: genetic compilation (2000-04-03)
Re: genetic compilation (2000-04-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Apr 2000 11:31:55 -0400

Joachim Durchholz <> wrote:
> I once read something about compilers that tried out equivalent
> machine code sequences and measured actual performance to decide which
> worked best. This could be used as a basis for a genetic algorithm.
> Of course, such an approach would drive compile times to a new high,
> and it wouldn't work for cross-compilation anyway.

This may not be too relevant but ...

There is the GNU superoptimizer work that exhaustively
searched for the best instruction sequences to put
into the code generator (I think).

Torbj(?)rn Granlund and Richard Kenner. Eliminating branches
using a superoptimizer and the GNU c compiler. In Proceedings
of the ACM SIGPLAN'92 Conference on Programming Language Design
and Implementation (PLDI), pages 341-352, San Francisco,
California, 17-19 June 1992.