Re: Re: Why put type information into syntax?

"Srineet" <srineet@email.com>
1 Apr 2000 14:04:07 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Why put type information into syntax? across@vega.co.uk (Allister Cross) (2000-03-25)
Re: Why put type information into syntax? lex@cc.gatech.edu (2000-03-28)
Re: Re: Why put type information into syntax? srineet@email.com (Srineet) (2000-04-01)
Re: Re: Why put type information into syntax? kst@cts.com (Keith Thompson) (2000-04-03)
Re: Why put type information into syntax? rod.bates@wichita.boeing.com (Rodney M. Bates) (2000-04-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Srineet" <srineet@email.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Apr 2000 14:04:07 -0500

Hi,

        I think there is another reason for built in types. Some language
features rely on them, for example, in C the expression in an
if-statement / while-statement etc. must be coercable to int. Now, if
there was no built-in int type, what rule can you have for that? This
is even more relevant for languages with a builtin boolean type, where
the if-condition-expression must be boolean. So we see that some
builtin types not only make the gammar "easy to specify" but are in
fact necessary.

- Srineet.