Re: xml and html grammar

"Christian Stapfer" <>
28 Feb 2000 03:02:12 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
xml and html grammar (motch julien) (2000-02-23)
Re: xml and html grammar (2000-02-27)
Re: xml and html grammar (Christian Stapfer) (2000-02-28)
Re: xml and html grammar (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-03-06)
Re: xml and html grammar (2000-03-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Christian Stapfer" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Feb 2000 03:02:12 -0500

motch julien <> wrote:
> I'm looking for an xml and html's B.N.F (Backus Normal Form) grammar.
> I've got to build a html2xml translator.

Can't you, for example, use an SGML parser, such as James Clark's SP
( to *parse* HTML? (True, HTML is not *exactly*
SGML, but, in some ways, it is almost, and SP comes with a DTD that
allows it to parse HTML3/4: don't expect SP to parse JavaScript
sections or some such thing, however.) *Generating* XML should be
much simpler than *parsing* it: I'd expect that you can just use the
W3C spec of XML for that purpose... Christian