Question about writing assemblers

Maliha Samad <maliha032@yahoo.com>
15 Feb 2000 16:15:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Question about writing assemblers maliha032@yahoo.com (Maliha Samad) (2000-02-15)
Re: Question about writing assemblers camille@bluegrass.net (David Lindauer) (2000-02-15)
Re: Question about writing assemblers gsc@zip.com.au (Sean Case) (2000-02-16)
Re: Question about writing assemblers ian@zembu.com (Ian Lance Taylor) (2000-02-16)
Re: Question about writing assemblers nr@wally.eecs.harvard.edu (2000-02-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Maliha Samad <maliha032@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Feb 2000 16:15:40 -0500

I am an undergraduate student and I've been given the task to write an
assembler within 2-3 months.

I am very confused as to whether I should write a hand coded assembler
or should I use the existing tools like lex and yacc. The instruction
set is written by my professor with almost 80 instructions. Can you
please help me with this giving details of the pros and cons of
both.

Regards

Maliha
[Kind of depends on the syntax. If it's something that lex can handle
well, e.g., tokens separated by white space, lex is a fine tool to use.
Similarly, if the language is LALR or close to it, e.g., you don't have
to look ahead or use complicated syntactic rules to parse correctly,
yacc would be useful. -John]