looking for Lex/Bison unicode support

"Yaron Bracha" <porky72@hotmail.com>
19 Jan 2000 01:20:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
looking for Lex/Bison unicode support porky72@hotmail.com (Yaron Bracha) (2000-01-19)
Re: looking for Lex/Bison unicode support qjackson@wave.home.com (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (2000-01-21)
Re: looking for Lex/Bison unicode support dmr@bell-labs.com (Dennis Ritchie) (2000-01-21)
Re: looking for Lex/Bison unicode support chet@watson.ibm.com (2000-01-23)
Re: looking for Lex/Bison unicode support webid@asi.fr (Armel) (2000-02-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Yaron Bracha" <porky72@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Jan 2000 01:20:40 -0500

Does anybody knows a flex/bison compatible parsing tools that support
unicode and generate c++ code ? I found a tool called zlex that
supports unicode but produces c code.

thanks,
Yaron
[Yacc and its clones parse tokens, not characters, so they shouldn't
be a problem, give or take nits like passing through non-ASCII strings
in C action routines correctly. Lex or flex is harder since all of
the implementations I know of use the character codes as indexes into
tables to implement the lex state machine. But if you do that for
Unicode, you'll have 64K entry tables rather than 256 entry tables and
severe program bloat. I believe that plan 9 has a Unicode lex,
presumably with some hackery to keep the table sizes down. -John]