Crenshaw's Tutorial

Colin Doncaster <colin@bentanimation.com>
19 Jan 2000 01:12:28 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Crenshaw's Tutorial colin@bentanimation.com (Colin Doncaster) (2000-01-19)
Re: Crenshaw's Tutorial rkrayhawk@aol.com (2000-01-21)
Re: Crenshaw's Tutorial jcrens@earthlink.net (Jack Crenshaw) (2000-02-05)
Re: Crenshaw's Tutorial joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-02-10)
Re: Crenshaw's Tutorial gneuner@dyn.com (2000-02-12)
Re: Crenshaw's Tutorial alanf@ns.net (Alan Fargusson) (2000-02-15)
Re: Crenshaw's Tutorial rhyde@shoe-size.com (Randall Hyde) (2000-02-15)

From: Colin Doncaster <colin@bentanimation.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Jan 2000 01:12:28 -0500

        I've just started going through Crenshaw's tutorial on compiler
construction and had a few questions to ask. First of all, it seems
what is presented here is a full C method of implementing a compiler -
but I have ran into a lot of other references that build compilers with
lexx and bison - what is the biggest difference, would using lexx and
bison prohibit certain features within a compiler/language (ie, OO
support, recursion, functions)? Also - after reading this great
reference, I'd like to get a book which covers a lot of the basics still
but also presents methods for some of the more advanced construction
techniques that could be expanded on later with another book. The
Dragon book seems to be the top of the tower but some folks I have
talked to mention that it's a little dated.

        Thanks, C.
--
Colin Doncaster
Bent Animation Inc.