Re: Dynamic Binding (Dave Harris)
19 Jan 2000 01:10:36 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Dynamic Binding (Rodrigo Augusto B. Ferreira) (2000-01-15)
Re: Dynamic Binding (2000-01-19)
Re: Dynamic Binding (Erik Ernst) (2000-01-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Dave Harris)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Jan 2000 01:10:36 -0500

> I was wondering if using dynamic type resolution, by compiling a
> lookup switch statement for each virtual call, would be valuable to
> increase the possibility of optimization.

I believe that is roughly the approach used by the SmallEiffel compiler.
(I don't have an URL but a web search should find references.)

They say it works pretty well. Instead of a "switch" they have a binary
tree of "if/else" statements. Apparently these are more suited to some
branch prediction hardware than an indirect branch.

> Any pointers and oppinions are welcome.

You might also be interested in run-time type-feedback techniques. There
are some relevant papers using the Self language, at

    Dave Harris, Nottingham, UK